Val knows the challenges of these cases from the inside out.
- During her tenure as a state prosecutor in Alaska, Val was in charge of the initial review, grand jury presentments, and charging of all child sexual abuse cases for the state’s largest city, as well as carrying a felony trial load of such cases.
- She worked closely with law enforcement and medical, mental health, child protection services and victim advocacy professionals to ensure the successful investigation and prosecution of these cases, while at the same time striving to minimize the impact of such efforts on the child victims and their families.
- During this time, her passion for providing quality training to all the related professions in this critical area was ignited – and continues.
Programs can be tailored for a conference keynote, a multi-day training, a breakout session or workshop for a multi-disciplinary or single profession audience.
Subject areas may include:
- What’s It Take to Do These Cases
- Interviewing the Child Victim
- Interviewing Other Witnesses
- Interviewing the Suspect
- What & How to Charge
- Declining Prosecution
- Children as Courtroom Witnesses
- Impact of Sexual Abuse Investigation & Prosecution on Children & Adolescents
- Preparing the Child & Family for Trial
- Effective Courtroom Testimony for the Police Officer, Child Protection Services Worker, Medical, Mental Health or Other Professional
- Developing Issues & Court Decisions
- Improving the System’s Response – How Does Your State Measure Up?
Here’s what people are saying about this training:
“Val, you are a true spirited warrior. I thank you for your commitment to this work — I thank you for your brilliance.”
“Enthusiastic knowledgeable speaker with real experience … would be good speaker at Annual Nurse Practitioner Conference re: these and other legal issues.”
“I have attended many presentations in Nome and around the state. The presenter [was], without a doubt, the best I have heard … knowledgeable and kept the training interesting.”
“Great training! Great resource manual to refer to. “
“I enjoyed the entire time spent — Val’s personality shows through & makes boring (usually) information fun and understandable.”
“Val is very articulate. Has lots of ‘pazazz!’ Easy to listen to. … She is an ‘empowering’ speaker.”